Friday 24 February 2012

Cuba Dulu Baru Tau (Siapa Cuba Siapa Tau)


Kerepek Bawang
I’m not Malay but I enjoy the local traditional Malay crackers better than potato crisps anyday! And the Hari Raya season is the best time to indulge in the traditional crackers and cookies.
Traditional cookies
When we visit friends and family during the Hari Raya festive season, it is common to have cookies and crackers or cakes placed on the table for everyone to enjoy, besides all the rendang, ketupat and curries! When I see a selection like this one, I inevitably chow down on the Kerepek Bawang which is the orange crackers with swirls.
Kerepek Bawang
Kerepek Bawang (Onion Cracker) is so called because the swirls cause it to resemble an onion sliced into half. Don’t you think it does? It is made from flavoured and spiced flour which is rolled into a roll like a swiss roll, then sliced very thinly and deep fried till crisp.



I’ve had Malay friends tell me that Kerepek Bawang has no onion in its ingredients but some others tell me that it does. So, if anyone out there has an idea, do let me know! It will surely be educational :)
Taste wise, it is crispy and mildly salty with a hint of spices. It is very addictive and I can polish off handfuls of this at one go! The only problem is that many commercial ones these days no longer have the slightly spicy flavour that makes this cracker so addictive. Many just taste of flour and look a scary bright neon orange. The proper traditional ones are brownish rather than orangish!
Does anyone know where I can get some delicious and original traditional Kerepek Bawang?

No comments:

Post a Comment